Need more information? Here are some other websites that you might find useful:
Government and regulatory bodies
Guidance documents produced by DEFRA and DH of particular relevance are:
- Defra guidance on the EU Food Information for Consumers regulation (held on the FSA website)
- DH food supplements guidance documents
- DH technical guidance on nutrition labelling
- DH guidance on the Nutrition and Health Claims Regulation
- DH guidance on flexibility of wording for health claims
The FSA is an independent government department responsible for food safety and hygiene across the UK.
NHS and non-profit organisations
- NHS Choices and the Eatwell Guide provide information on government guidelines for healthy eating.
- The British Nutrition Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation providing impartial evidence based information and factsheets on food, nutrition and healthy eating.
- The Weston Price Foundation is an independent not-for-profit nutrition education organisation providing evidence based information.
Trade bodies and professional organisations
- The British Dietetic Association
The British Dietetic Association (BDA) is the professional association for dietitians in the UK. The website also has information on diet and nutrition.
- British Herbal Medicine Association
Members of the BHMA include companies involved in the manufacture or supply of herbal medicines, herbal practitioners, academics, pharmacists, students of phytotherapy and others.
- Council for Responsible Nutrition
The Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN) is the UK trade association representing the leading manufacturers and suppliers of food supplements and their ingredients.
- Health Food Manufacturers’ Association (HFMA)
The voice of the natural health industry. HFMA members have interest in many different areas, including food supplements, herbals, sports nutrition, organic and other foods, complementary medicines and natural cosmetics.
- The Nutrition Society
The Nutrition Society website contains information on the scientific study of nutrition and its application to human and animal health. Membership is open to those with a genuine interest in the science of human or animal nutrition.
- Proprietary Association of Great Britain (PAGB)
PAGB is the UK trade association representing manufacturers of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and food supplements.
Additional nutrition resources
ODS is part of the US National Institute of Health. It exists to strengthen knowledge and understanding of food supplement related issues. It links to PubMed and provides access to an enormous amount of published international scientific literature on dietary supplements.